Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Sat Sep 07, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Original Prototype
PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:44 am 

I'm pretty sure there was nothing shady about the rep for several reasons. First, I had actually had a fair amount of clout with SLM at the time as my partners in my store where two of the largest music stores in the area and between the three of us we where pretty large customers. Second, I was known at the time as a pretty good guitar set up mechanic so he believed (wright or wrong) me to be pretty knowledgeable of guitar workmanship. I actually was known for being able to pick lower end guitars that were worth the time to set them up and replace sketchy parts like electronics, bridges, nuts, ect. Although I carried Fender, Gibson, Gretch and others in my store I had students who needed starter axes but I found the biggest turn off to a new student is a guitar that was difficult to play. So I never sold them a guitar without checking and straightening neck if needed, dressing frets, lowing actions changing string gauges, etc. And lastly, if it was scam, he sure wasn't getting rich. After I a provided a written evaluation of the piece, I told him I wanted to buy it if he could get me a case. The next day he came to my store with a perfectly fitted plush lined hard shell case. I was impressed and after paying almost a grand for my burgundy Gibson was amazed when he told me that he appreciated the report and it could be mine with the case $150. That was a bargain in anyone's book. I sold my Gibson that week. I never made many changes to the guitar as it played very well from the start. The only major change was installing a brass nut. This was something I had done to many guitars although I think at the time it was more of an aesthetic thing to me than an improvement in sound. I liked the looks of a shiny brass nut. I thought it looked cool under stage lights. Wow, it's amazing what was important in our youth. I also installed my usual string sets which where Gliders starting at .008. I never had to do any fret, neck or action work. I then spent the next ten years of its life being played 5 to 10, 3 or 4 hours gigs a week. I was feeding a family so it was not uncommon to play single at a cocktail hour gig somewhere then head to a bar or nightclub to do another 4 hr night gig with my band. All that time, it served me well with no complaints other than needing a new string or two now and then. Then my wife decided I needed a "real Job". I tried to convince I had a "real job" but guess who won that argument?

I haven't really played much in years as I have been too busy with my "real job" which requires much traveling so having time to sit and play just did not exist. I am planning on retiring in a couple of years and decided I needed to get back to it. That is what prompted me to start looking around to find any information I could on my guitar. This site has been great. I also reached out to Electra and was sort of brushed off and sent here. I am glad I found this site and others who appreciate these well made pieces of music history.

The guitar has been in the case behind my couch. Pretty dusty when I pulled it out but other than needing a new set of strings and little switch cleaning it still plays great. Although I feel like I have absolutely none of my chops, I cannot blame the ax. Now it will just be down to practice, practice, practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:39 pm 

Seem to have been quite a number of early MPs in the St Louis area.
Bobby Caldwell had 2
76 no serial #, mustache headstock, trap tailpiece, star knobs, black pickguard
77 serial #, wave headstock, tom bridge, electra knobs, clear pickguard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:22 am 

Funny you should bring that up as I distinctly remember the rep saying that Bobby Caldwell had already spoken for one the three he had. He even mentioned the color but I am not sure what he said. Blonde seems to come to mind but I am older now and details seem to come and go. It's still kind of cool having something that very few have seen let alone owned. I had quite playing around 82 and so most of the years in between it has sat quietly in its case behind the couch. My wife recently gave me a Hagstom Swede that I really enjoy and have begun playing again. Very rusty and don't remember much but I am hoping with some time will start coming back. In the mean time I will play the old girl from time to time and try to keep her in good condition. I keep hoping one of the grand kids will want to take up playing but so far not much interest. I hope when I go to the big gig in the sky, she will get another good home. I am sure she has many, many years left.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:00 am 

I have retired and thinking of selling the guitar as none of my kids are grandkids are interested in music. As you can tell from the posts of have no providence to back my story, only my memories which can sometimes be a bit off. I was wondering what this guitar might actually be worth. As it was my stage guitar i cared for it and kept it pretty good shape as you can see from the photos. Any opinions will be welcome.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:18 pm 

Hey Monty57 - congratulations on your retirement!
I don't really have a good answer to your question on the value, but it's a broad range depending on the condition. The semi-hollows seem to go for anywhere between $800-$1500. I actually have the early no s/n Bobby Caldwell Maple Pro that was mentioned in an earlier reply post. That was cool to get a little more history and an approximate date on that one, thanks Rixter I thought it was a '75. Monty57, you might want to hang on to it for awhile longer and start playing again now that you have some 'retirement time', yeah I know you're busier than ever. Playing is great therapy. Anyways good luck in whatever you decide to do. If you get some more detailed pics on the guitar, I'm sure folks here can give a fair assessment on the value. Mainly, would it need a re-fret or neck set as those are the most expensive repairs. Other than those items, it looks in pretty good shape.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:19 pm 

Well a few years have gone by since my posts and I am definitely retired and playing more. I have not sold the old girl and still play her from time to time. I would love hearing anything additional from anyone on the subject of the "prototypes" that were floating around in the early 70s. Any other input would be fun and appreciated. thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:55 am 

I have ran into problems posting lately, due to the old forum software load. But, I am very happy you are still playing the guitar. It sure looks like an Electra so probably made by one of the same companies (Terada?) that made them.