Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:23 pm 

Assuming the comparison is between models with set necks. Would the build quality be the same, as both brands were produced in Matsumoku? Does one or the other generally have better hardware?

Last edited by Krank on Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:27 pm 

Well, for starters not all Electra LP copies were made by Matsumoku. In 77 and up they were, that's true. But your question is really good and touches upon a bunch of interesting aspects. The final answer to what you mean is I think that it's a tossup depending on model, with Electra possibly coming out ahead on the electronics, but that depends too, as you can also argue that sophisticated features ultimately take a back seat to tone, so the answer may come down to a photo finish and may be subjective.

It's safe to say that any Electra with a Wave headstock or a Peace sign logo (excepting Outlaws) was made by Matsumoku. Before that (up to 76)different modesl seem to be from different makers. I have a 76 2264 that I'm pretty sure was made by Fujigen. Pre-77 Electras are still unsure, some models we're starting to figure out, but the LPs aren't certain although some details are starting to emerge.

So the question breaks into two parts-

How do Matsumoku-made guitars compare to Fujigen? People are vocal about their favorites but they do seem fairly equivalent- not surprising since it's known that workers would move from one to another and bring their skills with them. So there isn't a clear dividing line. Both are capable of truly brilliant and soulful instruments. Both also offered a range of quality levels and features, and even among the lower ranges the quality is good.

If I were to criticize the worst of Fujigen and the worst of Matsumoku, I would say that early Fujigen guitars sometimes have necks that are a little bit flimsy, and late Matsumoku (like Spectrum ST's) feel a little lackluster and unloved. But even those are far better guitars than equivalent modern low-end guitars, and they are worlds better than the worst of Kasuga (whose good stuff is good and bad stuff sucks)

So the second question- which I think is what you mean, is how do Matt-made Electras and Aria Pros compare?

I have limited experience with especially the higher end LP's, so I'll leave that to others to comment. I have one low-end Aria LP (with a broken neck waiting for repair) and I'd say in all regards it's equivalent to similar base-model Electra LPs. They're obviously modest and lacking trim detail, but fundamentally sound.

Where Electras have an edge over Aria Pros is in the more complex models that SLM's Tom Presley designed. Obviousy the electronics of an Electra MPC is way beyond anything in an Aria Pro, but even aside from the MPC's, the Omega models show numerous features (like 5-way selectors, brass nuts, metal bridge plates, etc) that are developed beyond a simple copy of what Gibson did.

I'm also not certain how far you'd stretch the definition of an 'LP'. To me a bunch of them are LP's, including Endorsers and Ultimas and all those. On the Electra site however, we have them seperated because those later models really did evolve beyond.

So then if you look at premium models like the Endorser, and compare to equivalent Aria Pro models, how do they stack up? I think that should be answered by someone who has them in front of them to compare, and I'd love to read about it. My guess is that they'd be equivalent, because both distributors (SLM and Arai) wanted all the deluxe value-added premium details they could in their flagship models. But I'd like to read someone's firsthand observations.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:23 pm 

...actually you make an interesting point in there - how DO you know this stuff; I am in awe!! - about the low-end Matts, like my Spectrum ST which, as you state, is a little unlovely when compared to my top of the line Vantage VA900 but a whole hell of a lot better than anything else for NZ$160!!
I don't know about Electra in the States but over here the Westones seem to be flying a bit under the radar at the moment, hence the Spectrum for $160 and a Clipper for $130, albeit with a lifting fingerboard and no nut!!
APII's and Vantage are fetching good money, so grab up all of those low end Phoenixes and Spectrums while you can; they're still a lot of guitar for the money! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:35 pm 

X189player,

Thanks for your excellent input. I'm thinking strictly of LP clones, ie. with the shape and configuration of a Les Paul - which for Aria means the LS and LC series, and for Electra the Omega series (disregarding that the wave-shaped headstock is not exactly LP-like). It's most relevant for me right now, as I'm looking to buy such an instrument. The Electras have a certain coolness advantage; and I take your answer as basically saying it's a toss-up in terms of build quality.