Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Tue Jul 02, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:18 pm 

Hi all,

When at Electra fest 2009, I shared with the guys that I do some custom relic stuff. I purchased this X145 some time ago, and it has been in pieces in a corner for well over a year I guess. The ash body was broken almost completely in half. The pickups were non origional junk. 2 of the tuners were broken, and one of the previous owners routed it for a bridge humbucker (sort of?). Anyway, I stripped the badly bruised poly off, Glued the body back together and put a new,,,,old finish on it. Pickups are Bill Lawrence L200s in the neck and Middle, and a Seymor Duncin P90 stack in the Bridge. The L200s are super clean and chimey, and the P90 is all out rude! There is no tone control at all, but the tone pot is push/pull that switches the P90 from series to parallel. The back of the neck was dinged up very badly, But the finish on the back of the neck is so thick that all but the worst sanded out completely, the worst of them are just minor nicks now. I also rolled the edges of the fret board and did some minor fret dressing to remove some slight divots.. This thing sounds magical and plays awesome. I have 4 Phoenix's and Im thinking this will get the most attention. Relicing isnt for everyone, but this one turned out very nice. The pictures arent very good, It look much better,,,,,,,,errr worse? in real life.

Blessings, Paul

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:42 pm 

Well Done! :up:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 2:41 am 

Yep; like it! I'm sort-of looking for a Spectrum/Phoenix in the classic 3 s/c p'up arrangement .... shame they're all so bloody far away!! :bawl: :D

Because even the Australians need heroes."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:00 am 

Nice job. it is good to see one come back from the dead.

Corair, is there any Electra you are not looking for...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:22 am 

Thanks guys. Here are some pix of one of my previous projects. It is now in the hands of a very competent blues player in the Detroit area. The Band name is MuleDrive.
http://www.myspace.com/muledrive777

Blessings, Paul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:33 am 

I must confess an attraction to well used machines. Tele is cool, although I prefer a butterscotch with a blackguard (wink wink). As far as the Phoenix, I love the 'patina' on the bridge, and the cracks in the finish look great. It looks like you've got the vibrato 'blocked' off, which I don't blame you, I've never been a big fan of the vintage vibratos. Now we just need to work on getting that maple board worn in! Good stuff, Mike.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:53 am 

Hi Mike, Ive been trying to figure out how to wear the fretboard with the poly finish. Its kinda thick. Im afarid if I work through it the marks will be way deep. On the fretboard its not nearly as thick as on the back of the neck I may be able to get away with it. I will have to do some testing. I did block the trem with some cabinet shims. I like the butterscotch also, I have an unfinished alder body that I think Im going to do in Reranch Nitro Butterscotch. It will probably have a lighter relic. Im shopping for a neck now.

Paul