Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Tue Oct 15, 2024 7:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 7:19 am 
Just got an older Electra LEs Paul copy - non-MPC model. It is a nice playing guitar - it just needs a neck adjustment. However, here's the problem (and it is apparently a common one): at either medium amp volume or even at lower volumes w/ a lot of distortion, the guitar has a horrible non-musical microphonic feedback. :x Rolling back the volume controls helps, but of course this changes the overall sound of the guitar. Rolling back the tone controls helps as well, but of course this changes the sound as well.

Does any one have any suggestions as to how to eliminate tihs feedback probolem? I'd rather not put the money into replacing the pickups because frankly I bought this guitar kinda cheap and want to keep it that way...I do need to get the neck adjusted so will be takling it to my repair guy, so any suggestions before that would be appreciaetd. Thanks!! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 9:07 am 
great, thank a lot - I'll try it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:25 am 

Hello, not sure if there may be grounding or sheilding issues, but it's not uncommon for, well lets say 'import' pickups to squeal at loud volumes. Most of these pickups were not 'Waxed' during production. I have a Pro Endorser that I fell in love with and had my Guitar Tech wax the pickups, which is to say he literally dips the pickups in hot wax until they stop bubbling (air escaping), he said the bridge pickup bubbled for over a half hour. Now the only time she feedsbacks is on the same pitch I'm playing. This procedure is not for the faint of heart, you either have to desolder the pickups, or literally balance the guitar next to the stove as you unscrew and let the pickups sit in a sauce pan next to your axe. cheers, Mike.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 am 

Wax 'em. I unsolder the pickups [a MUST.. ask me how I know]
Make sure you mark which is which.
You know those tall round candles in glass jars from the corner store, with like, pictures of saints on them? They are just big enuff for a humbucker sized pickup to fit in, and they are full of WAX....
I put the candle in the oven for like 20 minutes at 220 degrees, which melts all the wax. Then use a scrap piece of wire in the screw hole in the mounting tab to suspend the pickup in the wax [outside the oven] dip the pickup and shake it around inside the wax. You want to do it until the pickup stops bubbling, you may need to put the whole assembly back in the oven @ 200 degrees for 5-10 minutes and check again. When it stops bubling, take the pickup out of the wax and put it on a paper plate. Wait 1-2 minutes and use a paper towel to wipe all the extra wax off. Re-install in your guitar, and your feedback will be gone!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am 

There's also a detailed description of the process here:

http://www.guitarnuts.com/technical/ele ... /index.php