Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Fri Sep 27, 2024 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:55 am 

Anyone catch this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 500wt_1115

Auction was only active for 18 hours when someone jumped on the 'Buy it Now' price of $900 (with free shipping) without a case! Yikes. I paid $400 for my Maple Pro, and I want to say RCS got his (really nice one!) for even less...

Condition wise, this one was pretty straight except for some weird discoloring by the bass cutaway, and some missing binding. I'd say price was high, but you never know what's going to get someone's heart pumping, especially if you compare it to what a Gibson semi hollow (vintage or not!) are going for.

There's a pretty nice X810n (MPC) for even less on eBay currently, which is a pretty rare model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Late-70s-El ... 124wt_1100

With a case (no modules included) for $700, I'd say thats a better deal personally. Here's Ray, the only Semi Hollow to make it to ElectraFest 2010:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 am 

Last edited by JMM on Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:48 am 

8) Maple Pro's are a quick sell it seems they never stick around very long. This one I saw but passed due to price. It will make some player very happy I think. :hyper:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:03 pm 

I kept an eye on this listing while communicating with the owner. Originally had a BIN of a grand + shipping. He said he'd do it shipped and insured for 9 bills, so I went on ahead with it. I just didn't want to wait a couple more years for another to pop up. It's one I've been looking for.

You're going to have to be a very patient man to find one of these at 400 or less anymore.

I'm patient....but.

Anyway....this one is now headed my way as well as a '74 Magnum II.

jd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:59 pm 

Hey Congrats JD, hope we didn't leave a bad taste in your mouth talking about the price man. The MPC version is rarer and has more options, but as its been said on here a number of times, Guitarists are pretty conservative, and the Elvins and Maple Pros routinely go for more than their MPC counterparts, despite being more versatile instruments, and listing for more when new.

You're getting a very enviable collection man, any chance of you getting them together for a photo? We've only seen glimpses of them so far!

I see you sold that clean Falcon of yours, and you got a pretty hansom price for that, so all being told, I think you're doing pretty good man. Cheers, Mike.

P.S. I'm thinking about selling my Falcon, anybody interested?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 2:05 pm 

jdwhealton wrote:
I kept an eye on this listing while communicating with the owner. Originally had a BIN of a grand + shipping. He said he'd do it shipped and insured for 9 bills, so I went on ahead with it. I just didn't want to wait a couple more years for another to pop up. It's one I've been looking for.

You're going to have to be a very patient man to find one of these at 400 or less anymore.

I'm patient....but.

Anyway....this one is now headed my way as well as a '74 Magnum II.

jd

So I'm not the only onr that 's not afraid to pull the trigger. :roll: Nice one.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:54 pm 

Thanks Mike...yep, this was Falcon money. And that's alright, cause I don't bother with collecting Washburns. Truth is, after playing it a while, I decided I didn't like it enough to hang on to it. Pups were way, way too hot for me...reminded me of the old DiMarzio Distortions. I have to admit though...it was a thing of beauty and quite a good investment at what I paid for it.

Even with the small defects of this Maple Pro....binding, discoloration (I have a hardcase)....I decided that I didn't want to wait any longer for another to come along. I would have been just as happy to have given you the 900.00......tell the truth now, would you sell it for nine?

I am thinking about a maple 810 for the future. That and a Custom Pro in AV will finish out my "hollow" desires, I think. I hope.

You guys can see my guitars by clicking on "JD's Electras" link if interested.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:27 pm 

:love: :love: :love: 8) That is one awesome Electra collection you have there. Those are some of the harder ones to find and they look great all together in the same place. Congrats on a fine collection. :up: :up:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:35 am 

Thank you sir. I appreciate a compliment from you. You da man.

I do love Electras, I always have....but never had the time to put in them until this past couple years after retirement. For years I owned and played a Custom Pro in black....that was back when I had to explain to everybody that saw it what it was. Back when MIJ guitars were frowned upon. For all the other guitars available to me then...I stuck with that one for a looong time. It would do it all for me, on stage and off.

I think at this point that there are only one or two more that I want to grab onto....maybe I shouldn't have put that in print. I take that back. :oops:

My problem now is....I also have a big fondness of 70's Ibanez copy guitars. I got the GAS for them too. The wife came into my cave yesterday and shook her head.

She took the ridin mower over to the church yesterday and broke a rod in it....that's gonna be it for that one. I wanted to tell her that you can't cut an industrial size yard with a little 42" home rider, runnin for 6-7 hours in deep grass. I wanted to get up on my "high horse" about that......but, when you have a guitar collection hanging on the wall....there isn't much you can say about the wife breakin a mower while workin for GOD. I say that....because there isn't much you can complain about at all when you got all that money on the wall doin nothin. This is a lesson for you new collectors comin along....just collect and keep your mouth shut about other stuff. :look:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:09 pm 

That remarks says it all. Keep the wife happy and get her some goodies now and then or be prepared to have the wrath unleashed upon you about your collection. It seems that if they are busy and happy with their favorite things and collections then they don't notice the new guitars when you sneak them in. lol. Life and marriage must be a happy solution for all. :up:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:32 am 

I never realized your signature was a link JD, great stuff! Every single one of those is a rare and sought after model man, we're all jealous! And your Semi-Hollow collection is the stuff of legends, VERY NICE!!
jdwhealton wrote:
I would have been just as happy to have given you the 900.00......tell the truth now, would you sell it for nine?

Frankly, I don't think Ray is worth $900, but he came to me in a cosmic kind of way, and has become one of my three favorite Electras, so in answer to your question, I probably wouldn't have parted with him. (what are my other two faves..? I'll never tell! I don't want them getting big headstocks, or jealous). Thanks for sharing your great collection with us, Mike.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:59 am 

I am lucky. My wife plays piano. It is going to take me a while to catch up to what she has spent on herr instruments.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:20 pm 

My wife plays piano also, workingman...thank goodness she's happy with a keyboard.