Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2024 5:23 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:24 pm 

I am a newbie guitar player and am thinking of trying out a Les Paul because of their shorter scale. I have my eye on the X935cs Pro Endorser on ebay, but am not sure as to be froggie and jump on it or get one of the MPC models. The models list does not explain every little detail on construction, but the pictures of the Pro Endorser appear to have a glued on neck.

I think I would be more comfortable with a traditional construction of a set neck much like the Gibson.

So! What is your thoughts on this? Is the MPC worth the extra it may cost?

What is your favorite LP model?

What is the most popular Electra LP?

Thanks for your time!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:56 pm 

Hi and welcome!

The Endorser is a superb chioce, you'd be hard to find a better new guitar today for under $1000 (or double that?)

Electra LP's (and similar shapes like the Endorser, Vulcan, Workingman, etc) fall into two broad categories: early ones which came from a variety of factories, and later ones (75+) which came from Matsumoku (recognizable by the wave headstock). Matsumoku guitars are superb, the others are variable (though some early ones could have been made by Matt too, it's uncertain) Note this cuts across model boundaires- for example, the 2242 was one of the first Electra models early on, but after 75 it continued into the early 80's- so the later ones are Matt, and the early ones, who knows?

To my mind this distinction will mean more to the quality than whether it's a bolt or set neck. But certainly a set neck is a more premium thing, more stable and resonant.

So, I'd say get the Matsumoku-made LP that appeals to you, MPC or otherwise. HOnestly, most likely you can buy one and then if you don't like it you can sell it on ebay again and all you're out is the shipping. I know, $40 is nothing to sneeze at, but that's also why guitars bought online cost less- in person where you can try them out, it's worth at least that much extra to know what you're getting. But frankly, with the denizens around here, you can pretty safely say that any Electra guitar you show up with here you can find a buyer- so don't worry too much about being stuck with it or taking a big loss (as you would selling it back to a shop).

I'd say if you have the chance to buy an Endorser, jump on it- it will never go down in value, and flagship models like that are mostl likely to get more expensive as time goes on. Especially with better models like this, you'll find the quality really superb.

An MPC is also cool- but early ones have pickups that have less clarity,a nd realize that MPC effects are (like most effects from the 70's) a little crude by modern standards, although they are certainly very musical and useful. Just- you should know that, modern effect pedals are so cheap that an MPC is more for the coolness factor than the need for effects. YMMV.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:21 pm 

I have an MPC X-950 "Vulcan" and it is a flat-out amazing guitar. The things I really like about this particular model (as opposed to the other LP-style MPC models) are the double cutaway and the scooped out heel where the neck meets the body. Really increases playability on the highest frets. Not to mention the sweet binding and other premium features. The Pro Endorser has these features as well, and I think they're worth holding out for if you decide not to go for the MPC Vulcan. With Electra prices being what they are, you only pay a little more for the premium models, whereas the benefits are exponential.

Paul is absolutely correct in that Electras have a strong enough following now that you're really only gambling shipping if you decide you don't want to keep one. And, with the state of the economy, now is a good time to buy (although prices do seem to rise slowly but surely with these guitars).

Also, I should add that the MPC models seem to benefit a little from the "chambered" effect that comes with the body being routed out for the MPC modules. I might be out of my mind here, but I feel like the MPCs have a slightly more "woody" sound to them than the typical solid body.

Finally, I really like a handful of the MPC effects. They sound great and are excellent for recording situations. However, if you are an active live player, going for the switches mid-song like you would with a pedal is a little awkward. I use pedals for live shows. But the MPC sounds are remarkably good (the phaser is amongst the best I've heard, the compressor and flanger are a lot of fun, and I love my Dynamic Fuzz and Thorny-modified Power Overdrive) and are definitely worth having around if you are into that sort of thing. Plus, your guitar-playing friends will be jealous, which is always worth something... :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:14 am 

Agreed; the SLM LP models eventually evolved into the Vulcan / Endorser / Workingman models and although I wish I owned one, IMHO were the best of all the LP models from SLM;

I did order a brass bridge for a Vulcan / Workingman from SLM (way back when) and installed it on my X340 and it is still on it today.

RCSBlues :oops: :up:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:24 pm 

I think the bottom line is going to be: early or late?

Late in this case means wave headstock, peace sign logo, made by Matsumoku. It's going to be excellent. You can buy at a distance and not be disappointed.

Early means diagonal or round-E logo, and quality may be fair to good. Some may be excellent, some may be poor. In that case be sure to try it out first.