Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Tue Sep 24, 2024 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:50 am 

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Electra-Custom ... _664wt_890

This is the best read in quite some time, with references to lawsuits, music store offers and our website, it looks like he's really done his homework and lays it on thick... unfortunately it seems he hasn't researched completed auctions, as he thinks its worth close to a grand, for a bolt-on with a snapped headstock?? I don't usually cut and paste auction descriptions, but this one is a classic:

This guitar is a Pre-1977 Electra Custom. The Electra is a Gibson copy made in Japan by Matsumoku, who also made some Epiphone guitars for Gibson among other things, including Singer Sewing Machines!

Matsumoku has made many popular guitar brands over the years including; Aria, Westbury, Westone, Epiphone, Vantage & Vox to name but a few. Electra was sued in 1978 by Gibson for copying their guitars and were made to stop making heads in the "open book" style. This is a Pre-Lawsuit guitar with all original everything, but the keys and nut.

Here's a website with lots of info about the History of Electra...
http://www.rivercityamps.com/electra/history.php

It has GREAT tone, keeps tune, and plays great. It is not marked, that I know of, with a serial number. The model is Electra Custom and it's most similar to the Les Paul 2242

This guitar was dropped once, or something. The next was broken (not through and through, just cracked) at one time. When I got it, from my brother, it had a bunch of screws in its head and didn't want to stay in tune. I had a master carpenter working in my home and he offered me $100 for it. I accepted the offer and the next day when he came back to work, he told me a local guitar store offered him $450 AS IS. Not only was I very mad, but several weeks later he brought it back in perfect shape! Sounds AWESOME, works well, holds tune, and has had its neck damage completely restored. He replaced the keys and nut and told me that now that it plays again, it's worth $950 or more. Boy was I ever mad then!

He gave the guitar back to me, for the original $100 plus the work he put in it! What a guy! THANKS AGAIN Steve!

Now, it's YOUR chance to own it!

I especially like the part where he says " perfect shape... neck damage completely restored" then check out the picture with the five ground down screws showing!!! Guitar does have the early openbook headstock, and was probably a real looker pre-accident. I was going to write and educate him, but he's on such a high, I don't want to be the one who sobers him up. I predict that it either never sells (after many relists) or it goes for about $150 - $175. I'd love to have that truss rod cover, although he would probably want $90 for that...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:39 am 

That's the one I posted about on CL....I see, he's made a more detailed description.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4928

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:36 am 

Now we know why the lawsuit never got completed. After all if Gibson made the Electra brand why would they want to sue themselves. I wonder if he will let me buy it and pay in confederate curency lol. :eek2: :rofl: :rofl: :down:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:18 am 

I think the confederate currency is worth more than the guitar. If it had a crack that hadn't been touched you could repair it properly. It is worth what the hardware and electronics are worth, $75 tops.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:04 pm 

I agree w/ Workingman.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm 

Maybe it was one of you guys, but I loved the comeback post:
http://joplin.craigslist.org/msg/1919620469.html

In either case, it's obvious the rest of you guys are looking as hard at CL as I am :x

The crazy thing though, workingman, is I've been seeing lately that these pickups go for $60+ each on ebay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm 

That guy must have scored some killer dope! By the way he describes it the "master carpenter" repair job makes it worth more! Imagine what it would be worth if it had been repaired by a competent luthier???

I'm guessing the guy also sells Yugo cars too.