Guitar Talk about Electra and other vintage imported guitars
Home
Index of Models
The Electra Forums
PM Inbox
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm 

I have always wondered what the natural wood underneath that thick finish on my Phoenix models looked like. Well mystery solved with this one. Looks like it is as I hoped and it was indeed great wood. This so called unique and rare(stripped to natural finish phoenix) shows how nice the wood really is. There is no natural (rare finish model) of phoenix that I am aware of so just remember to overlook the extreme price on this one. The guitar and case look nice but not at this price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0623583811
Electra's must be catching on now as we are seeing more and more counterfits and frankenstiens on the bay here of late. :look: :look: :roll:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:21 pm 

Hmm... I wonder what my Futura would look like stripped? If I can buy a second one somewhere I might find out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:51 am 

The Phoenix I rescued and rebuilt had a very nice two-piece alder (I'm guessing) body underneath its badly chipped-up black paint. I think mine is a 1982 model.

This one does not look as nice - seems to be about three or four pieces making up this body?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 am 

Actually, I count at least 5 models of the Phoenix that have natural finish (in fact, one just sold on ebay)- so stating there are none is incorrect. Tried to find a 1983 catalog to see if one like this was listed, but apparently no catalog available - and obviously not all variations are cataloged anyway !! (like most MIJ of this era). Also, perhaps using the word "counterfit" (sic) in the first post was a bit harsh - the guy's feedback is all very positive - and I should know ad I am the guy !!! I describe as accurately as possible - and this Phoenix has a thick professionally applied clear coat similar to what I've seen on Aria Pro's of same era - and it's either original or a pro-refin done years ago (from the wear) !!!! Oh, it is a 4 piece body - and, hey it's a "Best Offer" listing so I always start higher !!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:30 am 

Welcome to the Forum DoctorDave, firstly, I took that the term counterfeit was referring to some of the interesting items seen on eBay, such as the Electra neck bolted to a Bentley body or a glued plastic logo on a headstock recently. I've often said that one of the many cool things about Electras is that you'd be hard pressed to find a forgery, they just don't garner that much attention or the prices that would create that behavior.

As far as your guitar, I too assumed it was a stripped finish, but I can't make that determination for sure without checking out the control and pickup cavities (which are usually painted, and would be pretty tough to remove that paint).

There are certainly a number of natural Phoenix models, but by that time (1983 in the case of your guitar) most of the phoenix's we see are thick primary color paintjobs (Black, White, Red, etc), with the occasional sunburst thrown in. I'm not a historian, so don't take my word for it, but that is what we've seen. The Black neck also tends to support that it was a painted guitar at one time, again, that would have been standard fare for the Phoenix line.

I guess anything is possible, but you can understand why we would think this had the paint stripped off. Cheers, Mike.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:02 am 

Mike, thanks - this may be a refin, I'm not sure - the 1983 price list does show several models in Natural -- I really like the old Matsumoku (and other MIJ) stuff and am running across more and more of it, so I'm joining some forums to support the places I get info - I research a lot !!! I'll pull all covers and the neck later this week - I'm out of town working til Thurs nite - and, as I stated, if a refin it's a pro job and looks good - it's a cool guitar with the uniques pickups and wiring scheme !! drdave

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:54 pm 

I meant no disrespect with the comments and as I stated that it was to the best of my knowledge( heck we all learn new stuff everyday) and I have never seen a true original factory natural finish in this year model. I am a lover of the natural finishes from electra so sorry for the confusion on this one. The last comment on the frankenstiens and counterfits was targeted at some of the more strange configurations we have seen of late on the Bay. Welcome to the forums and you have a nice finish on this guitar( factory or re-finish) I will await further clarification on this matter from you when you get a better look. Good Luck with the auction. The case is very nice also. :up:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:54 pm 

Mortarman, I apologize if I was a bit touchy !! I found 4 natural finish models on the 1983 Electra price list on Vintaxe - but this isn't one of them - this may well be a pro refin, I'll disassemble when I get home Thursday night -- at least it's not chopped up and otherwise (to my limited !! knowledge) original. I had an Omega last year that had been spray painted over the original finish - including the headstock !! - and I stripped it back about 95% - it's tough to strip electras !! - then ebayed it for further restoration. I'm semi-retired and now making road trips regularly in Texas, Oklahome, and New Mexico seeking out guitars, basses. amps etc, and I am running across quite a few of the older MIJ ones - lots of Matsumoku. Now that I'm a forum member, I'll let y'all know about any electras. I'm a musician, too and love the MIJ stuff !! drdave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:18 pm 

No apologies necessary. Like I said we are always learning new stuff around here in the forums. The sharing of knowledge is what makes this forum such a great place to discuss and learn about the Electra lineup. The finish on this one is indeed very nice and I was happy to see what the wood looked like underneath the phoenix models that I have. I have an X260N model in natural ash and I love the beauty of the wood in it. I am retired military and have sometimes to much time on my hands. I enjoy collecting Electra models and really enjoy playing them all. Just like almost all the other japanese brands the quality, craftsmanship, and playability stands out and they are a great value also. Wish you luck in your searches. If you find any you do not want post them here in the forums and give all of us a shot at them too.Have a great and safe roadtrip and good hunting. :up:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:06 pm 

OK, I'm home..............and the verdict is.........................very nicely done refin -- looks like it was originally bronze ?? Darn it, should have checked more at first, now I'll change the ebay listing from rare natural finish to EXTREMELY RARE natural refinish LOL -- thanks y'all.........drdave (I'm not a doctor, I used to play one on the street - back in the day !!)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:18 pm 

I'm not a bricklayer Jim, I'm a Doctor :hyper: